- Fungi reproduce by releasing spores that are [produced either sexually of asexually.
- These sproes come in all shapes and sizes and are spread by wind and water.
- When conditions are stable, fungi usually reproduce asexually to clone themselves rapidly.
- When environmenal conditions are changing, fungi usually repoduce sexually to adapt to the changes.
- A form fo sexual reproduction for fungi is called syngamy which is the sexual union of cells from two individuals.
- Syngamy occurs in two stages; Plasmogamy and Karyogamy.
- Plasmogamy is the fusion of the cytoplasm.
- Karyogamy is the fusion of the nuclei.
- Dikaryon is a process that occurs are plasmogamy when the 2 nuclei pair up but do not fuse yet.